Mustard Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Lentil and Chickpea Salad
By Kath Dedon.
Although the Lentil and Chickpea Salad Carrie made could easily stand alone as a delicious vegetarian entrée, I decided to serve some of the leftover salad with Mustard Grilled Chicken Kebabs. It was a great combination!
The Lentil and Chickpea Salad with Feta and Tahini is from Deb Perelman’s Smitten Kitchen blog. We really loved it and wholeheartedly recommend it. The only thing I would do differently is to wait until the lentils have totally cooled down before adding the feta cheese. The French sheep’s milk feta Carrie used melted into the still-warm lentils. Next time I would assemble the whole salad without the cheese and then stir in the feta after it has cooled down. Head on over to Smitten Kitchen for the recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/04/lentil-and-chickpea-salad-with-feta-and-tahini/
The Mustard Grilled Chicken Kebabs were super easy. I used a Kalyn’s Kitchen marinade but did not include the rosemary or celery seeds. The marinade was quick to mix; I put it and the cut-up chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag and marinated the chicken for about two hours. Longer would have been better, but it was sufficient to give them a bit of flavor.
Using 2 skewers for each kebab makes it easier to handle them on the grill.
Mustard Grilled Chicken Kebabs
(Marinade adapted from one on the Kalyn’s Kitchen blog)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1½ teaspoons Spike Seasoning (optional, I used it)
A few grinds of black pepper
1 clove garlic (minced or just press it into the marinade)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients.
2. Cut the chicken breasts into cubes about 1-inch square.
3. Put the chicken and marinade into a Ziploc bag. Seal and work the bag a bit to distribute the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours; 6 – 8 hours is even better.
4. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes. (This keeps them from catching on fire when you’re grilling.)
5. Put the chicken on the skewers. Grill for about 4 minutes on one side. Turn and grill for an additional 3 – 4 minutes.