Twice Baked Potatoes
This is how I recently made Twice Baked Potatoes. I measured everything and wrote down what I used so I could call it a “recipe”. However, I don’t use a recipe for Twice Baked Potatoes, and I’ve probably never made them exactly the same way twice. 😉
Twice Baked Potatoes are basically cheesy mashed potatoes baked in potato skins. I used a sharp cheddar to get more of a flavor bang from just 2 ounces, but you could really use any type of cheese that you like. I often use medium cheddar. As I’m writing this, I’m thinking blue cheese would probably be amazing!
This “recipe” for Twice Baked Potatoes will give you the basic info about how to make them. If you don’t have sour cream, just use more milk. You can add more cheese or butter for a more decadent version. I mix the cheese into the potatoes, but you could top the potatoes with some grated cheese, too.
Twice Baked Potatoes take a bit of time, but they are really easy to make and a perfect fall comfort food!
Twice Baked Potatoes
(Simply cut the recipe in half for 2 servings. You can also multiply it to serve a crowd.)
2 large russet potatoes (about ¾ pounds each)
A bit of olive oil
¼ cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 ounces)
3 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425˚.
2. Scrub the potatoes, rub a bit of olive oil all over them, and prick the skin in several places over the top. (Pricking them prevents potato explosions in the oven. Speaking from experience, you don’t want to skip this step!)
3. Put the potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake for 1 hour.
4. Remove the potatoes from the oven and lower the heat in the oven to 350˚.
5. Let the potatoes cool for a few minutes so they’re not too hot to handle. Slice them in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato.
6. Put the skins on a baking sheet. (I like to line it with foil for easy clean-up.)
7. Mix the sour cream, butter, cheese, milk, and salt into the potatoes.
8. Fill the potato skins with the potato mixture.
Ready for the oven
9. Bake for 30 minutes.