Superb Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich!
By Kath Dedon
Do you have leftover holiday ham in your refrigerator? How about using some of it for a superb Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich?
I hesitated to share this sandwich with you. Doesn’t everyone know how to make a Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich? But this one was the perfect blend of flavors – truly fabulous! And I thought….maybe you haven’t thought of making a Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich lately, and you’re wondering what to do with leftover ham. So, here it is!
This photo made it on the Foodbuzz Top 9 for December 28! 🙂
The secret to a superb Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich? It all starts with the best ingredients:
♥ Snake River Farms Kurobuta Ham – Simply. The. Best. If you live in the Seattle area, Metropolitan Market sells whole and half hams, as well as ham slices when you just want a small amount.
♥ Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard – a classic which was perfect on this sandwich.
♥ Good sandwich bread. I used A la Francaise Sourdough. I love it for grilled sandwiches.
♥ And, of course, Butter for grilling!
Those are the ingredients I used. I know there are other fine hams, cheeses and bread out there. The point is to use the best ingredients available to you for a Superb sandwich!
Here’s how I made the sandwiches:
1. Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat.
2. Spread Dijon mustard on slices of good sourdough bread.
3. Put slices of good ham and cheddar cheese on the sandwiches.
4. Put the top slice of bread on the sandwiches and then spread softened butter on the top.
5. Put the sandwiches, butter-side down, in the skillet.
6. While the first side is grilling, spread butter on the top side of the sandwiches.
7. Turn the sandwiches over with a spatula, and brown the second side.
8. Grill until both sides are nicely browned and the cheese is melted.