Homemade Honey-Sweetened Vanilla Ice Cream

September 6, 2012

I used to be able to buy Alta Dena’s honey-sweetened vanilla ice cream in Seattle, but the store stopped carrying it years ago. I had to learn to make my own.

This recipe does require special equipment. If you have an ice cream maker, this is the easiest ice cream recipe ever! If you don’t have an ice cream maker, maybe you need one. I have to admit, I got mine just to make this recipe.

My Cuisinart ice cream maker came with a little booklet of recipes. The one that appealed to me most was the vanilla ice cream with just four ingredients – milk, sugar, cream, and pure vanilla extract. I loved the fact that I didn’t have to make an egg custard.

So the first ice cream I made was this basic Vanilla Ice Cream, but I substituted ½ cup of honey for the original ¾ cup of sugar. It turned out great, and I’ve been making it ever since!

To get a firm consistency, make the ice cream several hours before you plan to serve it. Put it in an airtight container in the freezer for at least two hours, and it will be perfect.

Honey-Sweetened Vanilla Ice Cream is delicious on its own or with some of the great fruits that are still available. We love it with peaches or berries!

a

Homemade Honey-Sweetened Vanilla Ice Cream

(Adapted from a recipe from Cuisinart)

a

For best results, leave the freezer bowl in the freezer until you’re ready to pour in the ice cream mixture.

a

(print the recipe)

a

Makes 1½ quarts

a

1 cup whole milk, well chilled

½ cup honey

2 cups heavy cream, well chilled

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

a

1. Mix the milk and honey together in a medium bowl until the honey is fully mixed in.

2. Stir in the cream and the vanilla.

3. Take the freezer bowl out of the freezer; put it in the ice cream maker and pour in the ice cream mixture.

4. Turn the machine on and mix until thickened, about 30 minutes.

a

5. Put the ice cream in an airtight container and freeze until you’re ready to serve. (2 or more hours in the freezer will give the ice cream a firmer consistency.)

About these ads
  1. September 6, 2012 8:58 am

wow.. looking beautiful

2. September 6, 2012 9:14 am

This looks so lovely! Vanilla is ALL I would eat when I was younger.

• September 6, 2012 10:08 am

My favorite was always Butter Pecan. Maybe I’ll have to try making that! Thanks for your comment!

3. September 8, 2012 1:08 pm

this is such a lovely ice cream! love it!

4. Connie Fay permalink
    August 27, 2013 3:33 pm

I used 3 cups of raw cream from my cow and 1/2 cup honey from my bees and 2 teaspoon of vanilla and it was to die for!!!!!!

• August 27, 2013 6:17 pm

WOW! That just sounds amazing! We’re thinking about getting a beehive next year, but I don’t think we’ll be getting a cow in Seattle. ;)

5. February 28, 2014 6:47 pm

I’m making this right now, but I added some vanilla beans. I snuck a taste from the ice cream maker and it is DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for the recipe!

• February 28, 2014 7:31 pm

I’m sure vanilla beans make it even better! Thanks for your comment. We love it and I’m glad you do, too!

Trackbacks