Quick and Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

June 2, 2010

By Kath Dedon

a

I have a “killer” chicken noodle soup recipe that I sometimes make when I feel like spending the day making soup.  It really is outrageous, but it should be because it involves a long process for making delicious chicken broth. It isn’t difficult, but it takes a bit of time. It’s “Long but Easy Chicken Noodle Soup”. I’m sure I’ll make it someday and add it to the blog.*

This chicken noodle soup recipe is one of the recipes I turn to when I want good soup that’s quick and easy. It can be made on a weeknight after work. Using canned chicken broth is the big time-saver with this one, and cooking the raw chicken in the broth adds extra flavor. You can use boneless breasts or thighs.

It’s still soup weather in Seattle, so this “hits the spot” on a cool June evening.

* Update November 3, 2010: I made my “killer” chicken noodle soup, and you can find it here.

~

Quick and Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

(print the recipe)

(Adapted from a recipe in the January/February 1998 issue of Cooking Light)

Serves 4

~~~

1 Tablespoon butter

1 cup chopped carrot

1 cup chopped celery

1 Tablespoon flour

3 ½ cups chicken broth (2 cans—Swanson Natural Goodness™ is good)

1 cup water

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

2 cups uncooked egg noodles (about 4 ounces)

1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces

Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and celery; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the broth, water, salt, and pepper. Return to the heat and bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add noodles and chicken, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

About these ads
  1. July 15, 2011 6:47 am

This looks like the good old fashioned chicken noodle soup!

2. October 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Yay for soup! We like to make “chicken pot soup” in large batches with a roasted chicken and homemade broth. We then freeze it in 1-quart increments. When we are all (aka ME TOO) feeling down and out, it is so easy to defrost a quart of soup with a handful or two of noodles. (Note to self…post the recipe.)

3. December 13, 2011 12:01 am

Ah, my best comfort food! looks very delicious :)

4. Susan Gold permalink
    June 6, 2013 9:33 pm

Very nice, I love to learn how to cook it too.

5. WANDA SHARP permalink
    January 2, 2014 4:02 pm

I TRIED IT AND IT TURNED OUT GREAT I ADD A LITTLE SOMETHING MORE TO IT. THANKS

6. Nicole permalink
    February 9, 2014 7:39 pm

Made this tonite for dinner… It was wonderful!!! I added a handful of chopped onions and a tad of garlic salt…

Trackbacks