Slow Roasted St. Louis Style Ribs

March 3, 2013

By Kath Dedon

a

Slow Roasted St. Louis Style Ribs couldn’t be easier! Just use your favorite barbecue rub and roast them on a rimmed baking sheet for 4 hours or so. After helping Byron dig trenches all day, Bob was very happy to dig into these ribs!

The “St. Louis Style” designation refers to the cut of the meat, not the style of preparation. St. Louis Style ribs are spareribs that have been trimmed. They are a bit higher in fat than baby back ribs and are perfect for “slow and low” cooking in a barbecue or in the oven. As they’re cooking, the meat pulls back from one end making convenient “bone handles” for picking up the ribs.

We enjoyed the ribs with just the flavorful Southern Barbecue Rub. If you prefer saucy ribs, just brush the ribs with your favorite barbecue sauce when the ribs are done and roast them for about 20 more minutes.

If you have a free afternoon to turn the rack of ribs a couple of times, give Slow Roasted St. Louis Style Ribs a try!

Slow Roasted Pork Ribs

Slow Roasted St. Louis Style Ribs

(Adapted from a recipe in Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything the Basics)

(print the recipe)

Serves 3 – 4

One 3 – 4 pound rack of St. Louis Style Ribs

Your favorite barbecue rub (I used Southern Barbecue Rub*)

a

1. Preheat the oven to 250˚.

2. Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. This is easily done by loosening an end with a knife and then grabbing the piece with a clean paper towel and pulling it off.

Bad photo, but you get the idea.

Ribs

a

3. Place the ribs on a large rimmed baking sheet. Rub a generous amount of the barbecue rub on both sides of the rack.

4. With the ribs bone-side down, put the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 2 hours.

5. Turn the ribs over and roast for another hour.

6. Turn the ribs over so they are again bone-side down and roast for one more hour, or until the ribs are fork-tender and practically falling off the bone. (Total roasting time will be 4 – 4½ hours.)

7. Cut the ribs into serving pieces and enjoy!

*Southern Barbecue Rub

(Adapted from a recipe in Joy of Cooking)

¼ cup sweet paprika

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon ground cumin

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons ground pepper

2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)

a

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. The rub can be used with pork or beef.

Slow Roasted Pork Ribs 2

About these ads
  1. March 4, 2013 11:07 am

Look how gorgeous those ribs look! I could take a whole rack just about now. Thank you for sharing. A lovely post to go along with my latte and cinnamon raisin bread. I hope you have a beautiful week!

2. Christie permalink
    July 8, 2013 10:50 am

Going to try these tonight if my ribs defrost in time. Yours look so good!

3. Jason permalink
    July 27, 2013 11:20 am

Looks great! I am wanting to do this for a tailgate, could I prepare them night before, refridgerate and heat back up on grill?

4. Lisa B. permalink
    August 7, 2013 11:41 am

I wanted to thank you for an easy to understand recipe with even easier instructions. Have not had much luck with any type of rib roasting, seems to be my meat kryptonite. Yet I felt hope when I found your recipe. I only had 2 1/2 lbs of St. Louis ribs but I stuck solidly with your roasting instructions. I applied my dry rub a day ahead just for a little extra umph and then baked my ribs at 250 for 4 hours. They came out great! My ribs were just a little thicker/meatier than I realized, so I think that I should have gone another 30 minutes and will do so the next time. Because there will definitely be a next time! Thank you for posting your recipe and tips – so easy and delicious!!

Lisa B. ;-)

• August 7, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks so much for letting me know that it worked so well for you! I love getting feedback. :)

5. Renee permalink
    August 31, 2013 12:11 pm

I got them in the oven this is my first time with this recipe will let you know how it turns out

6. September 9, 2013 9:06 am

These ribs look amazing. I spent a lot of time in St Louis and miss these ribs (and American barbecue in general) a lot now I am in London, so I am going to try out this recipe tonight!

7. SteveO permalink
    September 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Those are some interesting points. I learned many years ago that ribs can be done in the oven with good results, and it eliminates the “tending” that a grill takes over that many hours.

The new points here for me include lowering the temperature to 250 (I have used 300), and a few similar articles even say use 225. The lower temperature also obviously increases the required cooking time, but “low and slow” is generally preferable for meat like this anyway.

Another point is turning the ribs over two times. I haven’t done that, but it sounds like a good idea. I wouldn’t want them roasting with the meat side down for very long or to end up in that formation, but this recipe says to have 1 out of 4 hours meat side down, with the start and end with meat side up.

I have a rack of pork ribs in the refrigerator today, that I plan to trim to St. Louis style, and do in the oven today using the techniques mentioned in the article.

8. Janice permalink
    October 6, 2013 1:25 pm

Made them today and they were amazing! Varied the rub to my own taste and added a little sauce at the end. Absolutely delicious!!!!

• October 6, 2013 3:20 pm

Janice, I’m so glad you liked the ribs! Thanks for letting me know. And you bring up a good point; you can really use any rub that you like. :)

9. Ryan permalink
    October 31, 2013 4:57 pm

The recipe turned out great, the ribs came out so tender. Thank you for sharing this

10. January 12, 2014 4:53 am

I am going to try this recipe today. I have not cooked ribs very often so I cannot wait to try this method. Thanks for sharing this

11. Nick permalink
    January 19, 2014 12:35 pm

I’m definitely trying this for this Sundays games. My ribs are ready, do you have to cover them at any point or make a base of water and the ribs placed over a rack? I’m already prepping! Thank you so much.’

• January 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Nick, I didn’t cover the ribs or use any water. I just put the ribs in the pan; a rack is not necessary. Enjoy!

12. April 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Kath, I made a rack of St.Louis style ribs for the first time today and used your recipe. Gotta love Pinterest! They were DEE-LISH! This Louisiana girl used half the salt and half the cayenne pepper if you can believe that. Lol I put BBQ sauce on half of the rack only. I wanted to taste the difference. Thanks for sharing.

Trackbacks

1. Simple Slow Roasted St. Louis Style Ribs (Rigged)