Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

January 1, 2013

Carrie told me about Emeril Lagasse’s Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas recipe a couple of years ago. I finally made it. I must say, I think it’s the best recipe for black-eyed peas that I have ever tasted! The seasoning is perfect. As a bonus, it is very easy to make.

I used a 12-ounce Hempler’s Kielbasa sausage which was great! If you’re making the Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas for New Year’s, it’s best to use a pork sausage. Pork is said to bring good luck because pigs root moving forward. Thus, if you eat pork, you will move forward in the New Year. Chickens scratch backwards so chicken is not recommended for your New Year’s meal. This is not the time for chicken sausage! ;)

We ate collard greens on the side to cover all the bases. Emeril suggests corn muffins, which also would have been a good accompaniment.

Happy New Year to all!

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

(Adapted from Emeril Lagasse’s recipe)

Serves 6 – 8

(print the recipe)

12 – 16 ounces smoked sausage

1 cup chopped yellow onion

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon cayenne

4 whole cloves garlic

5 sprigs of fresh thyme

4 bay leaves

3 teaspoons finely chopped Italian parsley

8 cups chicken stock

1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1 tablespoon minced garlic

Minced green onions, to garnish (optional)

a

1. Slice the sausage and cook it in a large pot over medium heat to render some of the fat. (Mine didn’t yield much.)

Hempler's Kielbasa for New Year's

Hempler's Kielbasa

a

2. Add the onions, salt, cayenne, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.

3. Add the chicken stock, black-eyed peas, and minced garlic.

Everything in the pot

a

4. Bring to a boil, and simmer, covered for about 1 ½ hours, until the peas are tender. Serve garnished with green onions, if desired.

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas, garnished with green onions

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas 3

1. Carrie permalink
    January 1, 2013 10:03 am

I’m making this tonight!

2. January 2, 2013 8:13 am

my favourites beans!!! o yes!!!! Happy 2013 and happy cooking!

3. January 5, 2013 7:19 am

Love it! My sweet mom makes black eyed peas each New Years. These look so delicious. Thank you for sharing. 2013 is off to a delicious start. I hope you have a relaxing and joyful weekend, my friend!

• January 5, 2013 2:35 pm

We have to have black-eyed peas for New Year’s, Monet! Happy New Year; I know it will be extra special for you and your family. ;)

4. Cindy permalink
    December 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Looks Yummy. Can I do this recipe in the crock pot??

• December 29, 2013 6:40 am

I think it would work well in a slow cooker. In fact, I recently looked up black-eyed peas in my Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook and they had a similar black-eyed peas recipe.

I would follow the first two steps of the recipe (cooking the kielbasa and then the onion, salt, cayenne, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley). Then put everything in your slow cooker and cook on low for 9 – 11 hours.

• cindylou35@juno.com permalink
        December 29, 2013 10:12 am

Thank you so much Kath. I will give it a try.

• December 29, 2013 10:27 am

A lot of the newer slow cookers cook hotter than the one that America’s Test Kitchen used for their Slow Cooker Revolution recipes. If your cooker cooks hot, it may take less time. I’d love to hear how it works for you! :)

• Cindy permalink
          January 5, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Kath,
          The Black Eyed Peas in the crockpot turned out wonderful. I will definitely try it again.
          Thank you for the recipe and the good advice.
          Happy new Year.

5. January 5, 2014 3:18 pm

@Cindy
    Thanks for letting me know! I actually liked your idea and tried it in my slow cooker, too, on the 1st. It did turn out great! My cooker does cook hot, so it was definitely ready after 8 or 9 hours.

6. kim permalink
    December 30, 2014 7:47 am

this recipe doesn’t call for the peas to be soaked over night……i’ve never made these before — is that implied? or do you not have to do it for this recipe??

• December 30, 2014 7:59 am

Kim, the black-eyed peas do not need to be soaked over night. :)

• kim permalink
        December 30, 2014 11:36 am

thanks so much for your reply! i’m gonna give this a shot :)

7. Lisa Woodman permalink
    January 1, 2015 2:01 pm

Has anyone ever tried adding collard greens into this recipe?????

8. Lisa Woodman permalink
    January 5, 2015 1:36 pm

If I was to use collard greens how would I incorporate them to the recipe? Any ideas would be helpful as I have never cooked collard greens or with them.

• January 5, 2015 2:01 pm

I would remove the tough stems and ribs from the collard greens and then coarsely chop the leaves. I’d stir them into the pot during the last 15 – 20 minutes.

9. Lilian permalink
    February 23, 2015 1:21 pm

hello, i only have stew meat (the ones that are sold in cubes) – could I use that instead of the sausage?

• February 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Lilian,
      The result would be quite different, but I think it could be delicious! I would toss the meat in some seasoned flour (maybe some Cajun spices stirred into flour) and then brown the meat in a tablespoon or so of oil. Do the beef in batches, if you have to, so the meat won’t be too crowded in the pan. Remove the beef from the pan. Add a bit more oil to the pan and proceed with Step #2 – cooking the onions and seasonings. Add the beef back in in step #3 when you add the chicken stock, black-eyed peas, and minced garlic.

I’d love to hear how it works if you try it! :)

Trackbacks