Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

January 1, 2013

Carrie told me about Emeril Lagasse’s Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas recipe a couple of years ago. I finally made it. I must say, I think it’s the best recipe for black-eyed peas that I have ever tasted! The seasoning is perfect. As a bonus, it is very easy to make.

I used a 12-ounce Hempler’s Kielbasa sausage which was great! If you’re making the Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas for New Year’s, it’s best to use a pork sausage. Pork is said to bring good luck because pigs root moving forward. Thus, if you eat pork, you will move forward in the New Year. Chickens scratch backwards so chicken is not recommended for your New Year’s meal. This is not the time for chicken sausage! ;)

We ate collard greens on the side to cover all the bases. Emeril suggests corn muffins, which also would have been a good accompaniment.

Happy New Year to all!

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas

(Adapted from Emeril Lagasse’s recipe)

Serves 6 – 8

(print the recipe)

12 – 16 ounces smoked sausage

1 cup chopped yellow onion

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon cayenne

4 whole cloves garlic

5 sprigs of fresh thyme

4 bay leaves

3 teaspoons finely chopped Italian parsley

8 cups chicken stock

1 pound dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1 tablespoon minced garlic

Minced green onions, to garnish (optional)

a

1. Slice the sausage and cook it in a large pot over medium heat to render some of the fat. (Mine didn’t yield much.)

Hempler's Kielbasa for New Year's

Hempler's Kielbasa

a

2. Add the onions, salt, cayenne, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.

3. Add the chicken stock, black-eyed peas, and minced garlic.

Everything in the pot

a

4. Bring to a boil, and simmer, covered for about 1 ½ hours, until the peas are tender. Serve garnished with green onions, if desired.

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas, garnished with green onions

Smoked Sausage and Black-Eyed Peas 3

About these ads
  1. Carrie permalink
    January 1, 2013 10:03 am

I’m making this tonight!

2. January 2, 2013 8:13 am

my favourites beans!!! o yes!!!! Happy 2013 and happy cooking!

3. January 5, 2013 7:19 am

Love it! My sweet mom makes black eyed peas each New Years. These look so delicious. Thank you for sharing. 2013 is off to a delicious start. I hope you have a relaxing and joyful weekend, my friend!

• January 5, 2013 2:35 pm

We have to have black-eyed peas for New Year’s, Monet! Happy New Year; I know it will be extra special for you and your family. ;)

4. Cindy permalink
    December 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Looks Yummy. Can I do this recipe in the crock pot??

• December 29, 2013 6:40 am

I think it would work well in a slow cooker. In fact, I recently looked up black-eyed peas in my Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook and they had a similar black-eyed peas recipe.

I would follow the first two steps of the recipe (cooking the kielbasa and then the onion, salt, cayenne, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley). Then put everything in your slow cooker and cook on low for 9 – 11 hours.

• cindylou35@juno.com permalink
        December 29, 2013 10:12 am

Thank you so much Kath. I will give it a try.

• December 29, 2013 10:27 am

A lot of the newer slow cookers cook hotter than the one that America’s Test Kitchen used for their Slow Cooker Revolution recipes. If your cooker cooks hot, it may take less time. I’d love to hear how it works for you! :)

• Cindy permalink
          January 5, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Kath,
          The Black Eyed Peas in the crockpot turned out wonderful. I will definitely try it again.
          Thank you for the recipe and the good advice.
          Happy new Year.

5. January 5, 2014 3:18 pm

@Cindy
    Thanks for letting me know! I actually liked your idea and tried it in my slow cooker, too, on the 1st. It did turn out great! My cooker does cook hot, so it was definitely ready after 8 or 9 hours.