Moghalai-Style Chicken

December 11, 2011

I am delighted to add Moghalai-Style Chicken to my repertoire! This fantastic curry, which I found in 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer, is so simple. In fact, I was amazed that it delivered so much flavor for so little effort. It is a mixture of sweet and spicy, and the almonds add just the right amount of crunch.

Serving the curry over rice, I found that it makes 5 – 6 servings. You could cut the recipe in half, but I recommend making the whole thing because it reheats beautifully.

Moghalai-Style Chicken is a quick, easy, and very tasty recipe for this busy holiday season. If you enjoy Indian flavors, I think you will love it!

Moghalai-Style Chicken

(Adapted from a recipe in 660 Curries, by Raghavan Iyer)

(print the recipe)

I used chicken breasts, but I think boneless skinless chicken thighs would also work beautifully in this recipe. You can substitute 8 ounces of fresh spinach leaves, well washed and finely chopped, but the frozen spinach was so easy and worked great!

Serves 5 – 6

1 tablespoon garam masala

2 teaspoons coarse kosher or sea salt

½ teaspoon cayenne

½ teaspoon ground turmeric

¼ cup oil (I used light olive oil)

1 large red onion, finely chopped

½ cup golden raisins

½ cup slivered blanched almonds

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 package (8 – 10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed (no need to drain)

½ cup water

Steamed rice for serving (optional)

1. Stir the garam masala, salt, cayenne and turmeric together in a small bowl so they are ready to go when needed.

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

3. Add the onion, raisins, and almonds. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 – 20 minutes, until they’re starting to brown and the raisins are plump.

Onion, raisins, and almonds added to the pan

onions, raisins, and almonds after about 20 minutes

4. Add the chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.

5. Add the spices, and cook for about 30 seconds.

6. Stir in the spinach and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat so it is simmering; cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is done.

7. Serve over steamed rice.

1. December 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Simple and delicious. I am always trying to add more spinach to my diet, and this seems like a great way to do it! Thank you for sharing this with me. It looks perfect for a winter evening.

2. December 17, 2011 8:48 am

I am always up for trying a new curry! This looks and sounds so lovely!

• December 21, 2011 8:38 am

Thank you, Beth! I love the fact that you can get complex flavors so easily!

3. December 18, 2011 6:44 am

This recipe does sound simple and looks delicious!

4. December 21, 2011 8:45 am

This does look good, I like to make stuff like this when the girls aren’t around. Wanted to wish you and your family Merry Christmas.

• December 21, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks, Gina! A very Merry Christmas to you and your family, too!

5. December 22, 2011 6:46 am

I love curries and am always on the lookout for new recipes to try. This sounds wonderful with the spinach.

6. February 6, 2012 7:22 am

Such a beautiful way to use spinach! Love it!

7. beginsatsundown permalink
    April 14, 2012 5:50 am

This is one of my favorite recipes from 660 curries. I love that cookbook.

8. May 6, 2015 4:03 pm

Reblogged this on Mirymom's Blog and commented:
    We love a good Indian meal, but mostly they take too long to cook on a a weeknight. If I cook chicken in the oven at the same time as doing the stovetop stuff, we’ve got this one down to 40 min prep.

• May 6, 2015 4:29 pm

That is fast! Thanks for sharing it on your blog. I’ll have to check out the rest of your posts.

1. Where’d he go? | Big Dumb Cooking