Oven “Fried” Sweet Potato Fries
I gave it a try and had delicious sweet potato fries with my lunch. I did follow the last step of drying and crisping the fries a bit in a 200˚ oven; it turned out to be a great tip!
Oven “Fried” Sweet Potato Friesa
(Adapted from a recipe found at seriouseats.com, attributed to Mollie Katzen’s The Vegetable Dishes I Can’t Live Without)
Serves 1 – 2
One small sweet potato
2 teaspoons oil
1. Preheat oven to 375˚.
2. Wash and peel the sweet potato. Slice it into long, thin pieces.
3. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Put the potatoes on the foil and toss with the oil. Sprinkle salt over them.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes. Gently turn them with a spatula.
5. Bake until done, about 5 or 10 more minutes. (Timing will depend on how thick your sweet potatoes are sliced.) Watch them, because sweet potatoes burn more easily than regular potatoes.
At this point, they could be eaten right away, but if you want a slightly drier, crisper result, add this last step:
6. Gently turn them again and put back in the oven. Turn the oven temperature down to 200˚ and leave them in the oven for up to 20 minutes.